Fiancé Visas


Fiancé Visas

With expertise in all aspects of family-based immigration, Louisiana immigration attorney Rusty Messer has successfully helped numerous couples obtain fiancé visas (K1 and K3 visas), marriage visas and other US immigration benefits including Adjustment of Status petitions, travel documents, work authorizations, and travel visas.

K1 Visa: the Fiancé Visa

If you are a citizen of the United States who is engaged to be married to a foreign citizen, or if you are considering marriage, the K-1 visa is the most obvious US immigration option.  The K1 visa allows you, as a U.S. citizen, to bring your soon-to-be spouse to America for a ninety-day time period, during which time your fiancé must either marry you or return to his or her home country.  

K3 Visa: Visa for Spouse

The Form I-129F is not just an immigration visa petition for a fiancé but may also be used by a spouse. Among other provisions, the Legal Immigration and Family Equality Act, the so-called LIFE Act, expanded the availability of K visas to include the spouses, the K3 visa, and minor (under 21 and unmarried) children of U.S. citizens who are residing abroad, and the K4 visa. In order to obtain a K-3 visa, the American spouse must have submitted an I-130 immigrant petition.  Once the I-130 receipt notice is received from USCIS, the US citizen spouse can then file the I-129F.

K4 Visa: Visa for Children

In addition to allowing spouses of U.S. citizens to enter the U.S. to apply for adjustment of status, Congress created the K-4 visa to allow minor children (under 21 and unmarried) of K-3 spouses to enter the U.S. as well.

Expert Immigration Guidance for your K Visas

At the immigration visa law firm of the Law Offices of Big River Trial Attorneys, our goal is to provide the highest quality of professional legal service for our immigration clients.  For those seeking a K1 or K3 visa, our immigration services may include:

Preparing all immigration forms:  the immigration process of obtaining a marriage visa or K visa typically involves some combination of the following immigration forms:

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form G-325A, Biographical Information
  • DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • DS-156-K Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application
  • DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application

From our immigration law offices in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, our immigration lawyers will carefully complete all the necessary immigration forms and assemble all the required fiancé visa documentation to ensure that your immigration visa case is processed efficiently without delay.

Preparing you for your K visa interview at a U.S. Consulate:  At the Louisiana immigration Law Offices of Joshua L. Goldstein, our immigration lawyers don’t just prepare the USCIS immigration petition for you. We carefully manage your immigration case throughout the entire immigration process. In our judgment, a skilled immigration attorney is especially crucial during the difficult Embassy/Consular stage, where the fiancée is preparing for a possibly problematic interview abroad with an immigration officer.  In our experience, the immigration interview at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy is where most potential problems with a K visa occur.

Resolving problems with immigration agencies:  The Immigration team at Big River Trial Attorneys helps to resolve problems with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly known as the INS), the Department of State National Visa Center (NVC), and the U.S. Consulate in your fiancé’s home country.

Why an immigration attorney is essential

You basically get one shot at the K visa since the denial of a visa at a U.S. Consular post is generally a non-reviewable and non-appealable decision.  Clearly, the time to involve a good immigration attorney is from the beginning of the immigration case before an unfixable problem arises.  Aside from an outright denial, an improperly documented marriage visa may result in a vague or cryptic “refusal” under § 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  The Consulate rarely provides the fiancée with a meaningful explanation for why the fiancé visa was refused or how the refusal may be overcome.  In our experience, a INA 221(g) refusal results in, at best, months or years of delay while your marriage visa remains stuck in the immigration bureaucracy.

Contact Louisiana K visa attorney Rusty Messer at (225) 407-4428 today and take the worry out of the marriage visa process.