medical treatment after an accident
Medical Treatment After an Accident

Getting involved in an accident is a serious matter that often requires medical attention. At the very least, it must involve a medical check-up to ensure that the incident did not cause other damages. In an accident, medical issues are not limited to physical impairments. Instead, emotional or psychological injuries caused by accidents are valid claims for damages similar to physical trauma. Thus, it is crucial to ensure that all physical and psychological injuries are assessed and attended to by the proper medical health professional.

When Do I Need To See a Doctor?

Depending on the severity of their injuries, some people may need immediate emergency medical attention to attend to their severe trauma caused by the accident. However, if no physical or psychological trauma is apparent, a person involved in a car accident should generally get checked by a medical professional within 72 hours.

However, it is also essential to understand that some physical and psychological injuries might not be discernible even to a medical professional within 72 hours. Thus, it is vital to keep a detailed log of any symptoms you may have since the time of the accident, even after seeing a medical professional for an evaluation.

Moreover, if you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, do not wait to see a medical professional. You should call 911 and get immediate medical attention:

Severe pain in any part of your body
Shortness of breath
Dizziness, or blacking out
Profuse bleeding
Deep lacerations
Broken bones
Head injury
Neck or back injury
Loss of consciousness, or
What Kind of Doctor or Medical Professional Should I See Regarding My Injuries?

The kind of doctor or medical attention you should seek dramatically depends on the type of injury you sustained. Note that although some of the injuries are obvious, there are also a lot of injuries that are not easily observed or physical in nature. Therefore, it is essential to seek medical attention after the accident and seek follow-up medical evaluation if new symptoms arise or your condition worsens even after your initial medical consultation.

After your accident, the first medical professional you can reach out to is your family doctor or a general practitioner. If you do not have a family doctor, or you prefer to go to a hospital, an emergency room physician can also conduct a medical evaluation and provide a medical referral to the appropriate health professional to ensure that your injuries are diagnosed, treated, and documented.  However, emergency room physicians will often leave it up to you to determine if you need additional treatment based on whether your injuries get better quickly or continue to cause you pain.

Depending on the nature of your injuries, some of the medical and health professional you might be referred to by your family doctor, general practitioner, or emergency room physical includes, but not limited to, the following:

Radiologists conduct and evaluate x-rays, CAT scans, MRIs, and other imaging reports needed to diagnose any further internal injuries a patient may be suffering from.
Trauma Surgeons specialize in performing emergency surgeries on patients suffering from critical injuries.
Orthopedic Surgeons are focused on attending and treating bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscle injuries.
Neurologists or Neurosurgeons are specialists in diagnosing and treating brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscle injuries.
Burn Specialists are dedicated to treating burn patients.
Plastic Surgeons are medical professionals that perform reconstructive surgery on their patients.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons are specialists that perform facial trauma surgery, reconstructive surgery of the face, oral cavity, head and neck, mouth, and jaws. Oral surgeons can also perform simple and complex tooth extractions.
Chiropractors conduct spinal manipulations to provide relief to their patient’s joint and muscle pains.
Psychiatrists specialize in assessing and treating mental and physical aspects of psychological traumas. These medical professionals can diagnose and help treat any mental traumas you may be suffering due to the accident.
Other Specialists for Internal Injuries. Depending on the evaluation of your family doctor, general practitioner, or emergency room physician, along with any symptoms you may be suffering from, you may be referred to other specialists to diagnose and treat any other medical issues you may have incurred.

This list does not include all of the health and medical professionals you may need to consult with to ensure that any injuries you sustained from the accident are diagnosed, treated, and documented.

It is also extremely important to keep working with your health professional to ensure your treatment is adequately assessed and working. Moreover, it is crucial to keep your legal representation in the loop with any medical diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, or evaluation to ensure that all are properly documented and included in your damages claim against the other party.

Who is Responsible for My Medical Bills?

Generally, your health insurance, or if applicable, your automobile insurance, will cover the medical expenses incurred due to the automobile accident. However, if the other party is found at fault, they will ultimately be responsible for the costs associated with all the injuries you sustained from the accident. However, the other party’s insurance often will not pay until the lawsuit has been resolved. Thus, it is essential to understand that until the case is over, any medical-related costs associated with your injuries would be charged to your health insurance coverage or your automobile insurance, if applicable.

If you or your loved one has been involved in an accident that required medical attention, you need reliable legal representation who will vigorously represent your interests. Our highly experienced personal injury lawyers are prepared to guide and help you in your case. Please call us at (225) 963-9638, or you can click here to contact us about a consultation. Our dependable personal injury lawyers can help you assess your case, represent your claim, and answer any concerns you may have regarding your rights in your accident claim.

Leave A Comment